Monday, April 7, 2014

Take a few minutes for yourself every day..




Teaching, doing lectures and radio shows for over 3 decades has taught me many things. One of those things is that we humans are a tough group to get organized, and all of us are motivated to make changes in completely different ways. Some of us at the first sign of weakening health will change our routine entirely, and never look back. Some of us will wait for Mother nature to fix the problems, thinking our bodies are meant to do it on it's own. And then there are the many of us that even with  life threatening episode, or being put on medication and told the situation is dire will still hold onto  the idea that things will get better.

I am not sure if it is because by dealing with a health problem we are accepting that there is one, while somewhat ignoring it, praying for a change or just sweeping it under the carpet allows us to feel it does not exist. I cannot tell you how many hospital beds I have sat on having conversations with people that wished they had been more attentive, and had given their health the importance of focus it deserved.  Of course there are people who have lost their battles even doing everything correct, but I can pretty well guarantee there are many more people who lost the fight leaving us with a lot of coulda, shoulda. wouldas!!

Maybe if we all gave life, diet, exercise, attitude and healthy living a little more attention along the way we could have a better chance of giving it the good fight when needed. I have heard many times if I had only been better to myself, or if I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself. Personally my favorite is, if I lose the body where will I live.

A moral to this, maybe it just comes down to being a little better to your self along the life journey, and not waiting to give yourself focus only when a problem, or health emergency rears it's ugly head. And the deep belief in your mind and heart that we deserve to be healthy, happy and have an amazing quality of life. We have the where all to do this, we just need to give our health the same focus we give to the other things we do every day, you know the things that are not life saving.

No comments:

Post a Comment